Does grocery points card beneficial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark86

I have many grocery points card and I could say that it is helpful because you would earn points that can be used as payment.
But am just wondering why do we need to pay for the card? They should give as free as we are their regular customer.
Do you think grocery points cards are beneficial or just a waste of money?

RhealaineS

Well, I think points card is one of the marketing strategies of grocery store. It makes the consumer buy often because the customers will think that they are saving. There are some cases wherein you can really save from using those cards but there are also times when it's break even.

fishbate

Its beneficial in my opinion, although some do have registration fees but i think it's worth it specially when you are a regular customer of the establishment. I have actually won some freebies with these points.

amelia88

I always think if you're just doing your normal grocery shop and can get rewarded for it, then it's good. I just avoid buying unnecessary things for the sake of extra points and I find that it's fine.

Grocery points cards are beneficial as long as you are a loyal customer of the store where the points card was offered. But if you are a type of customer who likes to shop in different stores, I think, you don't need to get this kind of card. Here in my country, points card has an expiration date. After one year from the date that you purchased the card, you will need to renew it and pay the renewal fee in order to reactivate the card.
Our main goal of getting the card is to use the points that we earn as payment. So, if you are not earning a lot of points, you will just keep on paying for the renewal fee instead of enjoying the advantage that you are supposed to get from getting the card.

RhealaineS

Grocery points cards are beneficial as long as you are a loyal customer of the store where the points card was offered. But if you are a type of customer who likes to shop in different stores, I think, you don't need to get this kind of card. Here in my country, points card has an expiration date. After one year from the date that you purchased the card, you will need to renew it and pay the renewal fee in order to reactivate the card.
Our main goal of getting the card is to use the points that we earn as payment. So, if you are not earning a lot of points, you will just keep on paying for the renewal fee instead of enjoying the advantage that you are supposed to get from getting the card.
I totally agree with you. If you will be a loyal shopper to that store, then getting discount cards would be of a big help. But you are the type of person who likes trying different stores, then do not apply for discount cards because you will not be able to maximize it.

eli414

I think if the store has a registration fee, it's likely not worth it. They are betting on the fact that you will pay more money to open the card than you will actually save with it. Unless you get most of your purchases from a single store, it's likely not worth it.

However, some stores have a rewards card that is free. I almost always pick one of these up, especially if you can be looked up in the system (and don't have to remember your card every time you shop). Our local pet supply store has one of these cards, and it's saved me quite a bit -- at least $20 in the 4 or so months I've been using it.

I also recommend opening a store pay card from your grocery store if possible. This can be a credit card if you're confident you can pay it off, or you can opt for a debit card to keep yourself from going overboard. Stores often will offer discounts for these cards, which are typically worth it as long as you avoid the steep interest rates.

Chinet23

I thought the same. You can accumulate the points faster and maximize the benefits if you regularly shop at one store. There are some grocery point cards I know that are free but some needs to be purchased. You really have to think it through if they are truly beneficial for you. If it comes for free then it wouldn't hurt to avail of such grocery cards.

anchoreztin

Being a mother, I have tons and tons of grocery point card in my wallet. Most of them I got it for free but this only applies on local grocery store near my place and not the from the big ones. For me, it is beneficial to have point cards especially if you are a regular and LOYAL customer in that particular store. I also sometimes take advantage of having the exclusivity by being a card holder. For example, when there are big sales, non card holders may get 10% off but card holders may get 20% off. But we should also take in consideration that some point cards are just used as a marketing strategy. Be careful of overspending just to earn points.

jennyfermanuel

I have many grocery points card and I could say that it is helpful because you would earn points that can be used as payment.
But am just wondering why do we need to pay for the card? They should give as free as we are their regular customer.
It would be beneficial if you register to a grocery store where you usually buy your groceries ofcourse. I was once asked by my mother to buy groceries which she will bring to our province. It all cost like 4,000Php. Their cashier insisting me to register and have my own point card.
It's not free, yes. I need to pay 100Php for it. And because I know I don't usually buy my groceries there, I didn't accept it.
But I have multiple point cards from several stores and malls anyway. Those are the stores and malls where I usually buy my stuffs and groceries.

mark86

It would be beneficial if you register to a grocery store where you usually buy your groceries ofcourse. I was once asked by my mother to buy groceries which she will bring to our province. It all cost like 4,000Php. Their cashier insisting me to register and have my own point card.
It's not free, yes. I need to pay 100Php for it. And because I know I don't usually buy my groceries there, I didn't accept it.
But I have multiple point cards from several stores and malls anyway. Those are the stores and malls where I usually buy my stuffs and groceries.
Think we dont need to purchase multiple points card. We should only have at least two and we should get it in our 2 most favorites shopping market. I have several points card and sometimes I dont usually use the others.

NesMarcos

I think you love shopping! Just kidding :) I think it is not a waste of money if a person is into shopping or goes to shop weekly because it is a big benefit especially if you are a big spender. Nonetheless, if you go shopping once a month and but just the basic necessities, well grocery points card is not beneficial because you can't maximize the use of it.

jennyfermanuel

Think we dont need to purchase multiple points card. We should only have at least two and we should get it in our 2 most favorites shopping market. I have several points card and sometimes I dont usually use the others.
Well I do. I think it depends on the person? You aren't using your other point cards but I do use mine :)
I purchased them because I know I'll keep on coming back with the certain store or mall. I guess it beneficial for me as I will get to use the points in the future.

mark86

Well I do. I think it depends on the person? You aren't using your other point cards but I do use mine :)
I purchased them because I know I'll keep on coming back with the certain store or mall. I guess it beneficial for me as I will get to use the points in the future.
I still using some but not all. I prefer to lessen my cards into two grocery store. Much better for me to have 2 because these 2 supermarket are near on my place. Much convient for me.

Zelmontero

Well, I think it is beneficial because after all the the thing that you had bought there will be a time where you can earned enough points. And, through your earned points you can avail an item. It is like saving to a piggy bank. Doing grocery is a daily task so in a matter of time you can earn enough points to buy an item.

Chinet23

If you have to pay for the card then you really have to think if it's worth it. You have to do at least a mental computation of how much you normally spend for groceries and the points incurred versus the amount paid for the card. I have grocery cards that are free but I also have paid store cards. I'm thinking about not renewing the latter because the points that I earned is just as much as the price of the store card.

mark86

Well, I think it is beneficial because after all the the thing that you had bought there will be a time where you can earned enough points. And, through your earned points you can avail an item. It is like saving to a piggy bank. Doing grocery is a daily task so in a matter of time you can earn enough points to buy an item.
Yeah I agree with you in that. As long as there has a points that we could possibly get from the groceries we have purchased then it would be an advantage for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.